Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Giving

By Zig Ziglar

Give what you've got. Agnes W. Thomas tells the story of what happened when her next door neighbor died and left a fourteen year old daughter named Amy who was often alone when her father was at work. "Amy spent much of her after school time in my apartment, so I decided to teach her how to crochet.

"Over the years we spent many happy hours together as we worked. One Christmas we called a local nursing home and asked if they had any residents who would not be receiving gifts at Christmas. Amy and I took our crocheted lap robes to these people on Christmas Eve.

"The following year Amy married and moved away and later when she came back to our area with her beautiful, red haired baby girl, she called and asked if I planned to visit the nursing home on Christmas Eve. 'I want to be with you,' she said, 'but I haven't had any time to crochet since Jennifer was born, so I don't have any gifts to take them.' 'That's all right,' I said, 'you can help me take mine.' 'No, I have a better idea,' she said, 'I'll take my greatest treasure - my baby.'

"Great merriment appeared on the faces of the elderly people when we walked into the room with that beautiful baby. 'Oh, she looks just like my daughter did when she was a baby,' exclaimed one of the residents. 'May I hold her?' asked another. Jennifer was passed around like a doll.

"That baby brought more joy and laughter than all of my crocheted lap robes. Amy was happy too. 'They really liked my baby, didn't they?' she asked as we left the building. 'To make people happy, I guess you just give what you have.'"

How true. The human spirit is encouraged by the love and concern of another person, and what could be more encouraging and delightful to the elderly than holding an innocent baby? That's a real gift any time of year. Give it a try and I'll SEE YOU OVER THE TOP!

Zig Ziglar is a motivator and teacher. He is the author of 27 books and loved by millions of people world wide for his practical wisdom and his gift of hope.

No comments: