Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Don't be afraid to come right out and ask for referrals.

I used to print up business cards that offered a free lesson to anyone referred by a client. I would just hand a few cards to my clients and say something like, "Here are a few referral cards. Each person you give one to will get a free lesson. Plus, you'll get a $10 discount on one of your own lessons."

There was no pressure. If they didn't want to do it, they didn't feel that they had to. But if they were already inclined to give a referral, this gave them a strong push.

You can be more aggressive too. During my brief stint as a salesperson, for example, I would give people a piece of paper and a pen and ask them to write down the names and phone numbers of at least three other people who might be interested in what I was selling. Virtually everyone wrote down some names.

Whether you take a subtle or aggressive approach, implementing a strong referral program is a must for every small-businessperson - no matter how big your marketing budget it.


Larry Potter
http://budurl.com/nn8h
www.ATicketToWealth.com

No comments: